Roof installation is not really a very tricky process at all. Unfortunately, if anything is not executed accurately it can lead to serious damage. So before you install your house’s roof you must know certain things. You have to know all the roofing regulations very well to install a perfect roof. If you are not skilled enough to install the roofing then you must contact a professional to get the quality assistance needed. Building or renovation of a house is really expensive. One way to cut all the costs is to roof the building without the assistance of a professional and to add the roof yourself. Installing a roof is a long and challenging project. If you know the right supplies and guidance, then you can do all the roofing by yourself and saving thousands of dollars in contractor’s fees is a real possibility. The roof is a very important part of your house structure. It keeps you and your family protected from the harsh elements of nature. So, it is important that the roof of your house be strong enough to last a very long time. Most roofs have a life around twenty years after which roof needs repairs and maintenance.
These are some important things to remember while installing the roof of the house. After reading this article you will understand how to install a roof.
1. Review the Plans and Order Trusses – First of all, you need to order the trusses. Now review the blueprints for the size of the area you are going to roof. The truss is the frame for your roof. When you order for the trusses tell the salesperson the size of rafters, length of overhang, exact slope, size of ridge beams and bearing beams, and the size and location of ceiling joists of your roof. Check the flatness of the roof by using a 6-10 foot piece of lumber and a long carpenter’s level while roofing. The supports should not be more than of an inch lower or higher than one another of the roof.
2. Frame the Roof – Now all you have to do is to frame the roof. To frame the roof raise one of the rafter trusses and then turn it upside down and lean it against the rafter ties of roof. Place another rafter truss in the same way at the opposite end of the building. Now rotate the truss up into its position. Use leverage to do that. Nail a board to the truss to help swing it around while framing the roof. Now, install a brace to the hold the truss up across the top cord where it slopes over the roof. You must have someone to hold a 4×8 foot board level against each truss while you nail it to the truss while framing the roof. Now, do these steps till you frame all the trusses.
3. Cut Off the Extra – Now the third main step is sheathing of the Roof. All you have to do is just pop a chalk line at your desired length across the rafter tails. Now, trim the rafters so all of them are the equal lengths.
4. Add Ply Board – Attach the sheets of plyboard to the edge of the rafter tails. Now you will have to work upwards to the top of the roof. Make sure you cut any excess plywood off at the ridge of the roof. This will help it to fit it perfectly onto the center of the rafters on the roof. If there any excess of plywood then cut off any excess overhang with a circular saw.
5. Check Alignment – Now, check the alignment and end supports from the bottom to the top. Toe boards are used across the lower ply board. Don’t forget to stagger the connecting points as you work across the roof. You will need to cut some panels in half and use the half sheets with every other row of sheathing on the roof. If more stability is needed while roofing, use special metal plywood clips and install in the spaces where the plywood meets between the trusses. Do the same procedure on the other slope of the house.
6. Apply Tar Paper – Now, it comes to one of the main things of applying of the tar paper. Snap some horizontal chalk lines across the roof sheathing starting at some inches above the eaves. Now, place the tar paper on the roof lining of the paper up with the side edge of the roof. Don’t forget to leave 4 inches of paper to overlap joining pieces and 6 inches to overlap ridges and hips while roofing. Don’t forget to smooth out the tar paper before it is secured to the roof permanently. Now, use a staple gun with 1/4 inch staples to secure the tar paper over the roof. Staple on every 12 inches the tar paper. Other options besides the staple gun are a pneumatic stapler or a hammer-tucker but stapling is easy way.
7. Shingle The Roof – Now all you have to do is shingle the roof. Just mark each side of the hip or ridge line 6 inches down the roof. This is the guideline for the shingles of roof. Just fold the last shingle over the roof and place one nail in the fold and two nails on each side of the ridge. And you are done with the shingling of the roof and you know how to install a roof.
Remember To Be SAFE! There are some security precautions you must take while roofing. Working on any roof can be dangerous to you. You should take every safety precaution possible and always use extreme care while working on the roof of your house. Use a ladder that is high and strong enough for the job you are doing. Don’t forget to secure the ladder at the top and bottom before climbing it. Never start a roofing job in cold or wet weather or in the snowing. Also, you need to allow early morning dew to disappear before beginning of your work. Just keep the roof surface clean and free from loose nails and shingles. These can cause you to slip and fall from the roof while roofing. Now you know how to install a roof.